UPCOMING DEADLINE TO DECOMMISSION MOST VACUUM ASSIST PHASE II VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEMS
This advisory affects owners and operators of gasoline dispensing facilities (GDFs) constructed before November 9, 2017 with Phase II (Stage II) vapor recovery system not compatible with Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery are affected and must be decommissioned by December 23, 2020.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
If you own or operate a non-compatible Phase II system, you have the option of 1) upgrading the system to be compatible with onboard refueling vapor recovery; or 2) follow the requirements of N.J.A.C. 7:27-16.3(h) to properly decommission your Phase II system.
Anyone who will be decommissioning their Phase II system, should be aware of the following general list of items that can help achieve compliance, but please note this is not the complete list of requirements.
- Decommissioning activities must be performed by a NJDEP licensed UST contractor, certified in the category of Installation – Entire, or Closure.
- Follow the Petroleum Equipment Institute’s Recommended Practices in PEI RP300.
- At least fourteen (14) days prior to beginning work, send an email to 14dayUSTnotice@dep.nj.gov listing the responsible parties’ names, a description of the work
being performed, start date, facility address, and program interest ID (aka UST registration)
- Once the decommissioning is complete, within 14 days a follow up email with post-work testing and the completed PEI RP300 checklist is to be sent to the same email address (14dayUSTnotice@dep.nj.gov).
- The owner and operator will need to apply for a new Air General Permit 004B for Phase I only systems no later than 30 days after completing the decommissioning.
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
The following web sites can be accessed for additional information:
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/enforcement/ust.html UST Compliance & Enforcement
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/enforcement/air-resources.html Air Compliance & Enforcement
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/aqpp/ Air Quality Stationary Sources webpage
Please note this advisory is intended to be a summary explanation of department requirements. It does not include all potentially applicable requirements. If you have any questions related to compliance, please contact an Enforcement number listed above.
You can find all your decommissioning needs in our webstore:
Service Station Essentials
Pre-Assembled Hanging Hardware Kits
And if you can’t find what you are looking for contact us at 1.800.238.1225 or email us.
The John W. Kennedy Company appreciates your business and continued support!